How Long Do Veneers Last? (Plus, 10 Tips to Make Them Last Longer!)
Dental veneers are a cosmetic dentistry treatment that improves your smile’s aesthetics. It places thin tooth-colored shells on the front of your teeth to hide imperfections and give you a beautiful, youthful smile.
It’s a highly recommended treatment because it not only enhances your overall appearance but also benefits your oral health and self-esteem!
Before you get veneers, you must know what to expect, and in this blog, we’re going to dive into the lifespan of veneers.
Do you have to replace veneers?
Yes. Dental veneers do not last forever and will eventually need to be replaced.
How often do veneers need replacing?
That depends on a few factors.
First, let’s talk about how long different types of veneers last.
How long do porcelain veneers last?
Don’t want to replace your veneers often? Choose this option!
On average, porcelain veneers last 10 years. With proper care and maintenance, it’s not uncommon for porcelain veneers to last 20+ years.
One study… This text opens a new tab to the study… found 82.93% of participants still had their porcelain veneers at 20 years.
This type of dental veneer is made from porcelain material, which is as strong as or stronger than your natural enamel. You’ll treat it just like a real tooth, which means you can enjoy your favorite foods but should also avoid chewing on hard objects like ice to prevent breakage.
Our cosmetic dentist, Dr. Robert Walker, offers porcelain veneers because they last longer and look the most natural.
How long do composite veneers last?
Composite veneers are made with a resin material that bonds to your tooth.
On average, composite veneers last 5 years or longer with proper care and maintenance.
Composite veneers don’t last as long as porcelain veneers because its material is less durable, susceptible to staining, and chips.
Why do veneers need to be replaced?
The main reason you need to replace veneers is wear and tear.
The materials used like porcelain and composite aren’t intended to last forever. So to maintain your smile’s beautiful appearance, function, and health, you’ll need to update your veneers.
Other common reasons why you need to replace tooth veneers include:
- Damage: If your veneer chips, cracks, or breaks, you need to fix or replace it.
- Tooth decay: While veneers aren’t susceptible to cavities, your teeth underneath are. If there’s a gap between your tooth and veneer, harmful bacteria can enter and cause dental decay. When this happens, the veneer must be taken off to remove the decay, and often a new veneer must be made.
- Gum disease: If your gums recede, it’ll expose the gap between your veneer and tooth, leaving it susceptible to decay. You’ll need a new veneer to adjust to the tooth’s new length, and you’ll need periodontal care.
- Poor oral hygiene: Veneers must be cared for like regular teeth. You should brush them twice per day, floss daily, and visit the dentist at least every six months for an exam and cleaning.
- Bruxism (tooth grinding): If you grind your teeth, you’ll wear down the veneers exponentially and increase your risk for damage. To prevent this, wear a nightguard.
- Sports injuries: If you play physical sports, protect your veneers and teeth with a mouthguard.
- Misuse: Like natural teeth, veneers shouldn’t be used to open packages, bottles, etc. Nor should you chew on hard items like pencils or hard candy.
- Wrong size: If your veneers don’t fit perfectly, they may cause painful side effects, bite issues, and more. That’s why our Chandler dentist uses modern technology and works closely with a high-quality dental lab for the best outcome.
- Poor placement: Traditional veneers require removing a small amount of enamel and adhering them to your teeth with a strong dental bonding agent. If your dentist doesn’t have advanced training in this area of cosmetic dentistry, you may experience problems, like having your veneer fall off. Dr. Walker is an exceptional cosmetic dentist and even achieved Fellowship in the Las Vegas Institute of Advanced Dental Studies… This text opens a new tab to the LVI website… as proof. Check out some of his patients’ before-and-after porcelain veneers photos below!
How do you know when your veneers need to be replaced?
Here are 10 signs you may need to replace your veneer(s):
- You experience tooth sensitivity
- A veneer is chipped, cracked, or broken
- A veneer is darkening underneath or staining
- They feel uncomfortable to wear
- A veneer feels loose
- A veneer falls off
- Your gums are showing signs of gum disease, such as red and puffy gums, a receding gum line, or pockets between the gum and veneer
- The veneers are getting worn down or rough around the edges
- Your smile lost or is losing its luster or natural, light-reflecting appearance
- You want to change how your smile looks
When your dentist tells you!
During your routine exams and cleanings, your dentist will continue to monitor your veneers. If there’s a problem, they may be able to proactively prevent it or stop it from getting worse. They’ll also be able to give you updates and anticipated timelines on when to replace your veneers.
How much does it cost to replace veneers?
That depends on the type of veneer, the extent of work needed, etc.
The good news is that you may not need as much work done because the initial prep work to remove enamel is done.
Want a quote for veneers in Chandler, AZ?
Book a consultation with our porcelain veneers dentist, Dr. Walker or Dr. Hansen!
10 tips to make your porcelain veneers last longer
- Choose a skilled cosmetic dentist for your veneers makeover (one helpful tip is to look at real patient reviews… This text opens a new tab to our reviews on Google… and photos)
- Brush your teeth twice per day with fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Floss your teeth once per day
- Visit your dentist at least once every six months for a thorough exam and cleaning
- Don’t chew on hard objects
- Don’t use your teeth as tools
- Limit stain-causing foods and drinks
- Wear a nightguard if you grind or clench your teeth
- Wear a mouthguard if you play sports
- Avoid tobacco products
Contact your dentist ASAP if you experience a problem, like a loose or chipped veneer. Acting fast may save you money and time in the dental chair!
Looking for long-lasting porcelain veneers in Arizona?
Schedule a consultation with our Chandler dentists.
Whether you’re looking to get veneers for the first time or want to replace your existing ones, we have you covered!
Dr. Walker’s porcelain veneers are fully customized to you and look 100% natural. He’ll spend time getting to know what you like vs. don’t like and considers your unique facial features (like skin tone, lip shape, and more) for the most authentic result.
Or you can:
- Call us today at 480-786-4000
- Send us an email at email@example.com
Our office is located in Chandler, AZ… This text opens a new tab to our location on Google… and serves patients from Gilbert, Mesa, Phoenix, and Tempe.